Meet the investors behind CalcTree
If you’re an Investment Analyst, Associate, Principal or Partner, you’ll want to know who the existing backers are of a startup. It’s part of building conviction. We’ve written this article detailing our pre-seed investment round, including the investors who’ve come onboard.
At the end of this article, we outline precisely how you can reach us and the expected next steps to quickly determine whether CalcTree is a potential fit for your investment thesis.
We avoid cold starts where we can, which means attending to something before it hits the ‘Important / Urgent’ quadrant. This is part of the culture we’re creating at CalcTree, which you can read more about here. Our preference is to build investor relationships well ahead of time where trust grows by following our updates and milestones.
(Values in $AUD)
We were delighted by the response and interest we received for our first fundraising round. The calibre of investors we attracted made strategic sense to go beyond our funding target. We now have an engaged network of strategic and ‘customer voice’ investors helping us from day 1.
Funds are used to invest deeply into creating a product our users will love (aka a product-led growth model). In this article, we explain why we believe the contech space needs more product-led growth startups.
Below is a spotlight on some of the investors we’re proud to have onboard. In addition to those listed, we’re equally pleased to have a network of investors with the right mix of expertise covering the various dimensions of building a successful startup. We’ve enjoyed going on the journey together, learning from them and getting support when required.
An early-stage global VC and startup incubator where exceptional people build incredible companies. We were fortunate to receive our first check from Antler and incredible coaching from their brain's trust of advisors.
Sean McCreanor (Co-founder & CEO, Assignar)
Highly experienced, connected and capable construction tech founder and serial entrepreneur. Recently raised Assignar’s Series B (over $20M USD), adding Tiger Global Management, Fifth Wall, Ironspring Capital, Second Quarter Ventures (which includes Aconex founders Leigh Jasper and Rob Phillpot as LPs) and other notable VCs onto the cap table. Sean is a LP in a number of venture funds, both in the US and Australia. Most recent direct contech investments are a co-invest in Mastt (series A) and Sarus Lifting. On the board of a number of companies, providing founders with coaching support on product management, go to market, US market expansion, raising capital, governance, structure and more.
Marko Tomic (Co-founder & CTO, Assignar)
Seasoned tech leader and founder. Built Assigner from scratch into a globally leading construction tech software company. With 8 years as the CTO of Assignar, Marko now has a wealth of knowledge in the contech space. He also regularly contributes to publications and articles about construction technology. He has a proven track record of helping startups achieve scale by finding their Product Market Fit and choosing scalable and modern technologies that support sustainable growth.
Nick Niknam (Regional Director, Bentley)
Currently an enterprise GTM leader at Bentley, one of the world's largest infrastructure engineering software companies. Prior to that, Nick was the Global Business Development and Channel Manager at Arup (a global top tier engineering design firm), responsible for market and business development for engineering products and services in the Software Technology Group.
Ajoy Krishnamoorthy (CPO, Ungerboeck)
Enterprise software executive with a strong business and tech background. Previously Chief Strategy Officer at Acumatica and Head of Product Management and Planning at Microsoft. At Acumatica, Ajoy led the growth of their platform into the construction industry, which ended up being a significant part of their revenue portfolio. He regularly helps startups on their product/market fit, SaaS pricing and GTM approach. LP in a fund, angel investor, and steering committee member of a fund to scout early-stage investments. Invested in startups across multiple industries including fintech, ESG and construction. Sits on the board of contech platform Omnidek.
Jon Abitz (Co-founder & CTO, Stealth-stage Startup)
Previously Co-founder and CTO at Stake which recently completed a $90 million Series A funding from Tiger Global and DST Global Partners. Also previously CTO at Fusion Labs (acquired by Deloitte) and angel investor in FL0.com. Seasoned technology leader offering mentoring and advice on building a globally scalable platform and tech team.
Jon Moodie (CEO, Allied Finance)
Seasoned business leader, active angel investor and ex Executive Director at Macquarie. An investor in a number of different technology companies in various early stages. These include companies involved in manufacturing tech, asset monitoring tech, carbon offset, blockchain, and fintech. Previously started and sold his own company and understands the effort and commitment it takes to succeed.
Nima Montazeri (Head of Product, Babylon)
Babylon is one of Europe’s largest HealthTechs with over 1,000+ staff. Nima's role at Babylon is to scale the product and launch in 15 countries, taking it to $1B ARR. Previously Head of Tech for Thoughtworks Ventures, where he advised many startups on their product and tech strategy. Investments in early-stage startups include Monzo, Deliveroo, Wrisk and City Falcon.
Gavin Preston (Managing Director, BTC)
Has worked in venture capital for over a decade, from fund management to advisory and capital raising. Once MD for a biotech company, also an angel investor in early-stage companies. Recent investments include: Urban.io, Mother Labs, Vyro and Our Leg Up.
Next round details
To reiterate, we aim to build high-trust, long-term relationships with VCs who want to back our journey. Starting now, so they have the time to get a solid grasp of our vision and the team behind it.
We know what metrics to focus on for our next round, and we’re laser-focused on hitting them.
Here’s what we’re looking for from potential incoming VCs:
- Product-led: Our product has potent features that allow it to become embedded in customers’ workflows quickly. We’re looking for investors who have experience with product-led growth (PLG) B2B SaaS startups.
- Global: We want to take the nuanced competitive advantage we’ve developed in our product and team and supercharge it. As such, we’re excited to find investors who have a proven global reach and have successfully worked with companies who’ve traversed the ‘international scale’ path before.
- Networked: We see CalcTree being a ubiquitous platform amongst engineers across disciplines. Creating a buzz amongst engineers in the industries we systemically target will help accelerate our market penetration. Engagement and endorsement from influential industry leaders is one of multiple strategies we’ll deploy. We’d love to partner with VCs who are networked to influencers and leading brands in our industry.
Get in touch
If you’ve liked what you’ve read so far and want to know more, here are the next steps to follow:
- Email: Reach us by emailing email@example.com
- Read: We’ll send you further details about CalcTree, including our Pre-seed Pitch deck and product demo video.
- Schedule: You can then decide whether you’d like to organise an initial 30min Google Meet meeting with Onur, our CEO, using our Calendly link.
- Meet: This initial meeting intends to give you an insight into the way we think and an update on our next fundraising round.
- Update: We can put you on our prospective investor mailing list if you're still interested in following our journey. We send an engaging and detailed update every two months. You can unsubscribe anytime.
- Re-engage: We’ll use our email updates to signal when the time is right to get in touch again about our next fundraising round.
We hope you enjoyed this update and look forward to hearing from you.